Categories

Sunday, November 7, 2010

80% of what you learn in school is useless(?)

I came across a poll on a website about how much of what you learn in school is pointless and the general consensus was quite shocking. 80%. I agree that a lot of material you learn in classes and memorize for exams are not applicable to jobs in the real world for the most part.  But I think 80% is harsh.  I can't speak for other majors but the theories, disorders, and studies I learn in psychology classes are pretty useful.  I could care less (right now) when infants develop stranger anxiety, but I'm sure it will be helpful in 10 years-ish. Also, a lot of my upper level communication classes focus on the media industries, media economics, and how rapidly our society is changing in this Web 2.0 world.  This is definitely relevant to my upcoming job interviews. I guess what I'm trying to say is you never know when you'll use the information you learn from class. There's nothing to lose in learning more than what you "need" to know!


By: Grace Hong

No comments:

Post a Comment